 Off-Topic / Debate / 3777
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:59:11 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:54:00 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Ah yes... slap a tax on it instead of trying to set things up to get at
the root costs, eh? Typical tax and spend thinking.

Uh, Larry? I _was_ kidding.

Why not go after lumber companies for causing erosion when they clear
cut, and charge the proper amount to dispose of waste, and all the other
actual costs at every step of the way instead.

So how do you figure the costs of erosion? TIhe lumber companies own
their land, usually, after all. Or they have permission from the
owners. And if the use that land to deposit the waste on, why
shouldn't they do that?

A 2.50 a page tax is distorting because it's too simplistic. What if I
invent a paper that is produced from used household paper scraps. Should

You mean, like recycled paper? The stuff nobody will even touch with a
tenfoot pole, let alone use for toiletpaper or better?

I have to pay the same tax even though I have less impact on the
ecology? Or do we need some complex formula deciding that my paper is
partly exempt and partly not because it still takes electricity?

You can pay $2 a page.

Jasper