 Off-Topic / Debate / 3865
Re: IP (was: Re: Any suggestions on a homepage?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:57:55 GMT

I have to think more about the rest of your post but I did just want to
point out:

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Working from a rights basis, if you use someone else's idea that they
expended effort to develop, against the will of that person, haven't you
stolen their effort? Aren't you using what is theirs in a way they did
not intend? Please come at it from that angle and see what you come up
with.

So if I take a desktop computer and turn it into a router with the
help of the Linux Router Project, that should be illegal? And I am
when I do that taking potential money away from the original seller,
because now I'm using a $200 reject instead of a $2000+ Cisco or a
$2000+ Server-class PC to do the same job. And that means I took away
$1800+ of potential revenue.

That isn't quite what I mean here. Unless Cisco has invented the entire
notion of routing based on IP packets, which I highly doubt (seems to me
to have been placed in the PD by the IETF?? ), gettting software which
is freely available by choice of the authors and running it on hardware
you own free and clear hardly seems like infringing on Cisco's rights.

Now, if you had gotten (stolen, that is) a copy of some software that
Cisco wrote, was selling, and was covered by a license agreement, and
ran that in contravention of the license agreement, that is vastly
different, and that is what I was referring to. (for example, if you use
WinZip for more than 30 days without registering it, you are using it in
contravention of the author's wishes. Either use another tool or pay the
price the author asks. You will NOT find any unlicensed non freeware on
my machine, but I certainly use freeware when it does the job.)

I freely admit that simultaneous invention is a thorny problem and
invite you to suggest solutions that are rights based rather than
pragmatic. I suggest the general principle that if I independently
invented something, perhaps I SHOULD have the right to use it, as long
as it was truly independent rather than I invented it because I saw it
being used.

Your paperclip example is a good one. There ARE other shapes for the
wire to be bent into that work as well. If I see a paperclip and copy it
exactly that seems pretty clear cut to me. If I see one, and come up
with a different shape, have I stolen the intent of the idea? I don't
know. I never claimed to have all the answers.