 Off-Topic / Debate / 27696
Re: The Ultimate Discussion (was: Re: A Berkeley Study That Portrays Liberalism Positively?!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:28:16 GMT

   What’s the ultimate crime? Murder?

See? You got it on the first try! :-)

Ahhh, but see is unrestrained murder of thousands of your subjects “more ultimate” than the murder of the guy that breaks into your house? If so, how can murder be the “ultimate crime”? If not, why do they carry different sentences?

   To someone else, the “ultimate punishment” might be slow, excruciating torture carried out over an uninterrupted period of years. Someone else might consider the “ultimate punishment” to be eternal damnation, which I grant is a bit out of our jurisdiction. So who’s correct?

The only punishment society can morally offer (as opposed to your abhorrent torture example above) is incarceration, or, the deprivation of freedom. And that is only because it is the only way to protect society from these offenders, being that all of the big island continents on which to dump criminals are all spoken for.

Don’t worry, we’ll have Mars in few years. Heck we can probably get the baddies to work the mines too.

   Even “innocent life” is too nebulous to be helpful. Is a newborn person “innocent life?”

Of course. Of what would they be guilty?

What if the foetus caused the mother to become sick, or even worse the birth resulted in her death? What if one twin foetus got it’s cord wrapped around the neck of the other? Could it not be considered “guilty of manslaughter”?

ROSCO