 Off-Topic / Debate / 27680
Re: A Berkeley Study That Portrays Liberalism Positively?!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:57:40 GMT

--SNIP--

   I read about this on a certain Other Forum and basically said “eh.”

lol For the record, I signed up again with yet another email addy, and was summarily nuked; they must checking IPs. I have officially given up life in the underground. Pity.

????

   It’s a too-small sample size from a too-small geographic area. I’d say it’s close to meaningless, and in any case the factors of adolescent life and parental leanings likely weigh more upon one’s political destination that does one’s own “whininess.”

Agreed.

Disagree. One hundred people is a decent amount (error is proportional to 1/sqrt(sample size)). Besides, if the sample size was considered inadequate in a statistical sense by the experts in the field who review the paper then it would not have been published.

--SNIP--

   What bothers me most about this (to Tim as well) is it assumes that people are cast somehow in their political viewpoints. Doesn’t make sense to assume that, it seems to me.

What it says is that about 7% of a persons political viewpoint has a correlation with their personality. Which seems reasonable to me.

The fact that the article actually discusses this is why I said it’s a pretty good science article. It’s rare to see any mention of the REAL statistical conclusions.

Tim