 Off-Topic / Debate / 27689
Re: A Berkeley Study That Portrays Liberalism Positively?!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:55:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:
   Honest question - which is more ridiculous?

1 - pro-life and pro-death-penalty

Okay, Tom, let me take a stab at justifying a position such as this one. A pro-life stance would hold that a human life above all is sacred. So, the ultimate crime would be the taking of an innocent life. Therefore, the ultimate punishment (execution) is the consequence for the ultimate crime.

   2 - pro-choice and anti-death-penalty

I don’t know, but I see far too many conservatives that fit #1, which makes little sense. And of course I see a decent amount of liberals that fit #2.

I agree that #2 makes no sense whatsoever.

   Personally, I am pro-choice and pro-death-penalty, which jives well for me. Of course, death penalty should only be served when there is no doubt at all as to the guilt of the offender (which DOES happen, no matter what anti-d-p proponents say).

pro-life and anti-d-p makes sense to me too. Don’t agree with it, but it makes sense.

I do not go so far as to equate a 1 week fetus to an adult human being, but I draw the line pretty early, though, when the heart begins beating, which is around 3 weeks. I don’t have a problem with the so-called “day-after pill”. I have serious problems with late term abortions.

As for my stance on the death penalty, I agree with you that it is sometimes warranted.

JOHN