 Off-Topic / Debate / 27683
Re: A Berkeley Study That Portrays Liberalism Positively?!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:25:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   J2 (??... SOMEBODY trimmed the attributions in their post!) said:

   What bothers me most about this (to Tim as well) is it assumes that people are cast somehow in their political viewpoints. Doesn’t make sense to assume that, it seems to me.

What it says is that about 7% of a persons political viewpoint has a correlation with their personality. Which seems reasonable to me.

Well, no kidding! But correlation of a subjective trait is too nebulous to be a useful predictor. “Whininess” is too vague a factor IMO to be usefully (ie., consistently, objectively) gauged.

   The fact that the article actually discusses this is why I said it’s a pretty good science article. It’s rare to see any mention of the REAL statistical conclusions.

See Sore Thumbs (the webcomic) lately. I’d give you a link but not from behind this firewall...