 Off-Topic / Debate / 27562 (-20)
  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) Fair enough - that was a pretty lame reason to riot. I remember my High School shutting off access to cable and radio when the verdict was read during the OJ Simpson trial in case there was problems. Pretty lame and unjustified if you ask me. (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote: --BIG--SNIP-- (...) But the flaw in that is that you don't have to be cohabiting to be married Another Tim (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) The UK still produces a lot of good authors John. To accuse it of literary dying is a bit harsh. ;) Tim (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) I meant to imply that he was full of it for holding that view, not expressing it. And what if you did? That's your view, and you are entitled to it. So then we can debate it and argue the merits of each others points. How does one open a (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

--SNIP-- (...) I agree completely, but we'll have to wait and see what happens before deciding on this. (...) Wasn't me who confused the two. It was you. Thus my statement above regarding conservatism and fundamentalism. (...) I've seen no proof (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) I frankly don't care what they believe; it's what they do that can concern me... (...) Harriet Miers was a terrible choice-- unqualified, and a crony. The Dems should be thankful that they were spared the job of excoriating a woman nominee (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) I disagree with many of your views, but I don't say you're full of shit for expressing them. Do you know that person? How can you possibly say what their motivation is? ROSCO (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) No John. I'm not repeating (nor speaking of) sour grapes. I have nothing against the conservatism of the appointees, I have something against the religious fundamentalism of them. You know, the same thing you don't like in Muslims. As it is, I (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) Like thousands rioting in LA because a court ruling didn't go the way they wanted? I seem to recall about 50 killed, was that justified? Mob rule can do some strange things to people. ROSCO (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) Great example. This man cannot be more of a hypocrite, more full of excrement. The irony is literally painful. JOHN (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) lol Ah, using myself against myself, eh? Well, you've got a fool for a witness! Looks as though I was a bit contentious as well...:-o Okay, on to my apparent contradiction.... The United States of America is a secular democracy. Our very (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) You are repeating simply the sour grapes of one group who isn't currently in power. Boo-hoo. Bush's nominations are eminently qualified to hold their positions. Even if Roe v. Wade were to be repelled, that still means nothing. Why is it that (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) I don't mean to suggest any society is free of extremists and crazies. Christianity has been responsible for some of the most horrendous acts in history - cruel, horrible actions that seem devoid of purpose or humanity. Nor am I trying to say (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) Hmm... (URL) "We are most certainly *not* a secular nation."> (Readers perusing that old thread for the first time should be warned that it took place before my now-characteristic patience and politeness were cemented...) Dave! (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

--SNIP-- (...) --SNIP-- (...) Apart from on Bosnia, and Liberia and the other places where they have. Sure we don't have the pretty pictures of it but that's because, according to the Western media, those people don't count. And that's not to (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) (URL) Protests in London call for terrorist strikes against Europe, threaten those who insult Islam with execution, and generally reject liberal democracy. (URL) Danish Embassy in Lebanon and Syria are attacked by protestors and set on fire. (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) Which is all fine up until the point where the separation of church and state begins to be eroded. That point has almost been reached, and, with President Bush's new Court nominations is in danger of being reached. Mainly however, I was just (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) You were just asserting that the US was a secular demo, no? We are. But most of our FF were men of faith and our very existence was due to those who were looking to practice their religion freely, so we have an integral, religious history. (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Muslim groups and nations

(...) Here is a bigger archive of Mohamed cartoons over the ages, up to the present. It shows the fairly humorous Danish ones ("Stop, stop, we ran out of virgins!") along with the 3 somewhat different in tone cartoons that are probably a big part of (...) (19 years ago, 5-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations

(...) Do you ever get the impression that the media is being manipulated... by both sides ? Ray (19 years ago, 4-Feb-06, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact