 Off-Topic / Debate / 27547
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 17:43:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   I’m a little late in getting to this discussion, so perhaps this has been addressed already, but how is this threatened responsed fundamentally (no pun intended) different from acrimonious boycotts by US-based religious groups whenever an element of pop culture portrays Jesus Christ in a manner contrary to the religious groups’ sensitivities? Granted, in that case both the boycotters and the boycottees are usually American, but the same “thou shalt not infringe upon my interpretation” runs through the fundamentalist response, whether it be Christian or Muslim.

Protests in London call for terrorist strikes against Europe, threaten those who insult Islam with execution, and generally reject liberal democracy.

Danish Embassy in Lebanon and Syria are attacked by protestors and set on fire.

Christian groups haven’t done these sorts of things in a long time. As much as I don’t like the idea of ‘culture war’ - I don’t know how to respond to this. The Muslim world is going to town on a few cartoons mocking a religious/historical figure and, as I’ve read on a few blogs, a reaction that was noticably absent in their reaction to terrorism and violence. And sure, these are the extremists and all extremists are bad. I’m just left with the feeling that extremism is much more prevalent than anyone ever thought - I’m left with the feel that extremism is the culture.

-Lenny