 Off-Topic / Debate / 27545
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 06:59:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I will consider your removal of and lack of counterargument to the prior text to be agreement. I’m glad I could be so convincing. ;)

You were just asserting that the US was a secular demo, no? We are. But most of our FF were men of faith and our very existence was due to those who were looking to practice their religion freely, so we have an integral, religious history.

   I also believe secular democracies are best. Democracies come in second. Now, I’ve never supported religion-based laws per se-- I’ve supported laws that are based on religious values. I think that there is an important distinction there. I respect no particular religion, but certainly I prefer certain values certain religions profess.

I don’t really see much difference here but it is a matter of semantics and thus purely opinion based.

   Everybody gets their values from somewhere; that some get them from religion is irrelevant.

Which I think kind of defeats the thrust of your earlier argument.

I don’t know if I’m really arguing anything. Everyone’s values come from somewhere. A secular state can have laws based on values derived from religion and not be a religious state. Do you dispute this?

   But if we continue this conversation, I think it would be best to select a concrete example and examine it more closely.

JOHN

Sure. Gay civil marriage. I believe you have made your opinions on that topic quite clear before.

I’m not so sure that my views on this topic are “quite clear”, because every time that I try to articulate them, I feel that they are misunderstood. But since you and I have never discussed them with each other, I’ll have another go at explaining them.

First, I believe that the traditional family (1 husband, 1 wife, n children) is the most efficient way to rear children and to perpetuate a given society, at least in our country. There are other forms that work, but ideally, this is the optimum config. I believe then, that the State has a vested interest in promoting the most efficient rearing of its next generation. If you dispute this, please cite a better system.

So, the State decides to recognize this most important aspect of society (the socialization and rearing of its youth) and set apart the institution of marriage. Yes, the intended goal is for a marriage to produce offspring, but it is not a requirement.

So the State recognizes the union of 1 man and 1 woman as a special relationship. This is most equitable; any person (male or female) can choose another other person of the opposite sex, to be their spouse (notice that sexual preference is not taken into account). So, a straight man or a gay man have the same right to choose any female they want for marriage.

Now you say, “But what if a gay man doesn’t want to select a female. What if he wants to marry a man? Okay, for the sake of argument then, the State then decides to change it’s stance and recognize the union of any 1 person to any other person. Problem’s solved, yes?

Not quite. Because now comes along a polygamist. He wants not just 1 wife, but 3. So who is to say that his wishes shouldn’t be honored? And now (you guessed it) along comes a British women and she wants to marry a dolphin. And the next thing you know, some clown wants to marry his pet rock.

Here’s my point. The line must be drawn somewhere; otherwise the marrige relationship will be meaningless-- it will be indistinguishable from any other kind of relationship.

So currently the State recognizes a 1 man and 1 woman marriage relationship. If that were to change in any way, I don’t see the justification for not recognizing any relationship, no matter how inane. A 1 person to any another 1 person recognition discrimates against a 1 person to any number of other persons just as much as a 1 male to 1 female does against it.

So to replace an “inequitable situation” with another inequitable situation is just pointless.

No doubt this is as clear as mud, but now it’s late and I’m tired...

JOHN