 Off-Topic / Debate / 27544
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Muslim groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 04:05:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
Hey all,

Have you guys seen
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons this story>?
A Danish newspaper printed several cartoons of Mohammed last September and
this has led to complaints to the UN, death threats, and boycotts of Danish
goods in some Arab nations (which is how I first saw the story on
<http://www.ilenn.com/alpha4/index.php ILENN>, because many of the news
stories say boycott Danish products including ... LEGO ...).  Then this
morning I saw it in the Post because several other European newspapers reran
the cartoons in solidarity with the Danish paper, and apparently the editor
of one French paper got sacked over this.  You can see the cartoons in
question on <http://swanofkennet.blogspot.com/2006/02/no-lego.html this
blog>.

Here is a bigger archive of Mohamed cartoons over the ages, up to the present.
It shows the fairly humorous Danish ones ("Stop, stop, we ran out of virgins!")
along with the 3 somewhat different in tone cartoons that are probably a big
part of the ruckus.

http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/

The Cox & Forkum cartoon is http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/000768.html

And here is a starter list for those who want to Buy Danish.

http://hnn.us/blogs/comments/21097.html

Including easy to find products such as Havarti, Lurpak butter, DAK hams.
Patronize Wisconsin's White Clover Dairy products, and you replace sales Arla
Foods has lost in the boycott.

Full disclosure:

Poster owns or has owned stock in the above mentioned companies: yes
Poster's family owns or has owned stock in the above mentioned companies: no
Poster has been compensated by the above mentioned companies: no

Also, I had an uncle who raised pigs in Denmark, so there.

-Erik