 Off-Topic / Debate / 27554
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:12:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --SNIP--

Protests in London call for terrorist strikes against Europe, threaten those who insult Islam with execution, and generally reject liberal democracy.

--SNIP--

   Danish Embassy in Lebanon and Syria are attacked by protestors and set on fire.

Christian groups haven’t done these sorts of things in a long time.

Apart from on Bosnia, and Liberia and the other places where they have. Sure we don’t have the pretty pictures of it but that’s because, according to the Western media, those people don’t count.

And that’s not to mention the doctor killers and the Oklahoma bombing and other activities in the US. And let’s not restrict ourselves to Christians. What about the Hindu mosque burnings in India and the Jewish settlers in Israel.

I don’t mean to suggest any society is free of extremists and crazies. Christianity has been responsible for some of the most horrendous acts in history - cruel, horrible actions that seem devoid of purpose or humanity. Nor am I trying to say that only Islam has these extremists.

But theres a difference between some extremists committing violence and a crowd of 15,000 attacking an embassy because a government won’t silence and punish a newspaper for exercising their right to satire. That is what sets this a part from every other act of violence you listed: the totally surreal justification for it.

Like thousands rioting in LA because a court ruling didn’t go the way they wanted? I seem to recall about 50 killed, was that justified? Mob rule can do some strange things to people.

ROSCO