 Off-Topic / Debate / 27117
Re: Schpiffkraft Hakenkreuz
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:29:03 GMT

   Sure, Nazism is a horrible, evil thing, but should we restrict someone’s right to act like a jerk if they want to?

If in the course of being a jerk, you earmark a minority group of humans for death, we should restrict it. Should we have allowed slavery to continue? Slaveowners were just being jerks, right?

You’re confusing speech with action. Wearing a swastika= speech. Murdering millions = action. Advocating slavery = speech, enslaving people = action. HUGE difference.

   You’re equating the use of a swastika to killing millions, and it’s an entirely different issue. A symbol is not murder.

You keep comparing communism to nazism, and you compared naziism to Muslim culture earlier in this post. But I’m guilty of confusing a swastika with nazism? Wow, I should lie down to clear my head.

Again, a symbol is speech, not an action. And I’m using a few extreme clerics as examples here, not all muslims. But do you see my point? The problem is that unless you allow most speech behavior WHERE NO ONE IS ACTUALLY HURT you start playing a dangerous game.