 Off-Topic / Debate / 27102
Re: Schpiffkraft Hakenkreuz
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:32:53 GMT

   Freedom of speech is there specifically to protect behavior people might find offensive, like neo-Nazi marches through Jewish neighborhoods in Illinois.

And I’m saying that responsible, considerate people who hate Jews shouldn’t have marches through Jewish neighborhoods. I am not saying that they don’t have the right to be the complete idiots that they are; they should jsut keep their biggoted views private. That is responsible and civil.

I’d like to clarify this, if I may. John, from our long history of debate, I sense that you’d agree that people have the right to air their views publicly, no matter how ignorant or hateful those views are, but according to the nature of our society it is more civil not to air those views in a manner that is unduly uncomfortable to those likely to hear them.

Once again, you have crystallized my thoughts exactly, Paul..er Dave! [1]

   Granted, that’s a pretty elastic guideline, but I think that it’s how society tends to function. Sure, at Bob Curmudgeon’s funeral you have the right to point out that he was a mean-spirited ignoramus, but it’s not polite to do so because it would be grossly uncomfortable to the bereaved.

Exactly. “polite”, “civil”, “responsible”, “respectful”. They are all qualities of a good citizen; a good person for that matter.

   On the other hand, if a subjugated group wishes to express its discontentment with that subjugation, their expression of it may be “uncomfortable” to the entrenched status quo, but then we get into a complicated weighing of “rights” versus “comfort,” and I think that’s a larger debate than we need to engage at the moment.

Yes, tactics are certainly debatable.

   As you point out, John--it doesn’t require perfection; just a sense of the way that society tends to function smoothly.

The best way, IMO.

   Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

For example, I can eat an entire cheesecake in one sitting, but should I?

I seem to remember a “been there, done that” story, n’est pas, Dave!?

[1] Does Letterman still use that line?

JOHN