 Off-Topic / Debate / 23057
Re: Democracy.... Dubya Style
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:43:37 GMT

   Whereas I usually concur with you, Larry, it seems as of late that Scott had developed a debate style in which his points are backed up and cited,

Unfortunately, sometimes they are cites of the caliber of the ones given in this post

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=23056

the first one is an unattributed false (1) claim that tars by association(2) and the next one is facile... the cited material is not much more than satire or ridicule, broadly drawn, not really much to hang an argument on, and he closes with a claim that because everyone’s (that is, Scott and J2) “rubbished” something it must not be any good.

I’m OK with the notion that an idea (that people ought to be able to do as they like as long as they don’t harm others, for example) is a good idea even if it’s not well liked by “everyone”.

   as is the case with this particular arguement.

It’s not enough to throw out quotes and pseudo cites. They, in my view anyway, have to, be actual cites, not smears and they have to be relevant, and they have to help advance the argument being made.

The post I cite is, in my view, a prime example of how not to cite, it’s the “old Scott” back again. Too bad, really. But it’s why I never respond directly to him any more. because he just backslides again. Better that he get the “last word” than that we go round and round. I trust the critical thinkers out there to see through it all and make their own minds up.

1 - *I* certainly wouldn’t consider Pinochet’s dictatorship very libertarian, nor would most libertarian scholars, and it is certainly *not* the most libertarian society we’ve yet seen. There are many many better candidates than a tired fascist dictatorship like Pinochet’s.

2 - this is actually a standard propaganda tactic. Make a false equivalence between the thing you want to discredit and something generally held to be bad, and voila, even if you’re later proven wrong, you’ve planted the association in some people’s minds anyway. (or alternatively if you are trying to positively influence, make a false association to something good... why are so many product adverts ones in which the product user seems to be surrounded with beautiful people?)

++Lar