 Off-Topic / Debate / 23010
Re: Democracy.... Dubya Style
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:24:19 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   So Bush talks about Freedom and Liberty whist funding gross human rights abuses in places like Uzbekistan & Israel and you think he is not “dishonest”?

He hands out “lucrative” contracts to his buddies and you think he is not corrupt?

Wake up, you are dreaming!

How could one sleep with your incessant SOS rants?

Easy: Prove me wrong.

Ride, Ride, Ride!

JOHN

When uttered by Scott, “Easy” and “prove me wrong” don’t belong anywhere near each other.

He happens to be mostly right (about the Bush II Admin and the great stink emanating from it) this time, but when he’s wrong about something, proving it to his satisfaction has typically turned out to be impossible to do effectively, at least in this medium. It has something to do with the nature of discourse here and his didactic or rhetorical style.

The absolute best you can do is make it blazingly obvious to everyone else (or at least the clear thinkers among us) that you’ve thorougly destroyed his argument and debunked his claims, and let it go at that. In my view anyway.

And that’s one of the main reasons why he always gets the last word when he’s responding to me, even if I agree with him... I’m trying hard not to even get drawn in to the endless strings of back and forth, it’s a massive timewaster.

I’m surprised that you’ve forgotten that, John! Newbies like Don may not realise it yet though... Hence this public service announcement. :-)