 Off-Topic / Debate / 22962
Re: Democracy.... Dubya Style
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:40:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3305557.stm Taiwan defends
China referendum>

It appears Bush is trying to suppress a Taiwanese referendum to please his
new friends in China.... perhaps the Taiwanese should only be allowed
Chinese style democracy?

Now I don't normally like to post here in debate, but the local story
about the 10 year old boy mauled to death by a tiger was giving me
nightmares last night.  As dreams would go, this debate item somehow
entered the picture.  It occured to me that if it were my son taunting
the tiger, I think I'd tell him to stop.

yep. IF the tiger was safely in a sturdy cage, the little boy could go somewhere
else if he wanted, and taunting was all that was being done.

But this tiger is uncaged and unrestrained, can't be escaped from easily, and
has said for 50 years it's going to maul the little boy sooner or later. I
believe it will do so if unchecked. I believe not speaking up will hasten the
day when it happens. Once the maul happens it's going to be a lot harder to undo
than the last time a child got mauled (1)

So we ought to be saying "sure... Taiwan has the right of self determination and
if it doesn't want to be part of China that's OK and if it wants to be its own
country that's OK too and we are happy to sell Taiwan all the defensive weapons
it wants to buy, cash in advance only please" instead of supporting the pretense
that Taiwan isn't really a country, and supporting kicking it out of the UN and
the IOOC and the WTO and so forth.

But that's just me. I ain't no Willy Brandt.

++Lar

1- i.e. the last time a despotic state invaded a "renegade province" because no
one said anything to leave any impression that anyone would care... (2)

2 - yes I know that Kuwait ain't exactly as nearly free as Taiwan is. So why did
we care about Kuwait getting invaded but we don't care about Taiwan? Could it be
that with the Taiwanese companies all setting up Mainland China operations we
don't see the chip/electronics supplies as endangered by an invasion as we did
the oil in Kuwait??? Is that the calculation in Foggy Bottom???