 Off-Topic / Debate / 2298
Re: Art? (was Re: LEGO as Art)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 15:14:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:
http://users.erols.com/kennrice/lego-kz.htm
I got into a big debate in RTL a while back regarding the piece of "art"
entitled "LEGODEATH" and what constituted Art

I'd say that you were in the right and TLG was in the wrong.

and I'm not particularily
interested in starting another,

In .debate ?!?  Are you kidding?  ;-)

but I will say that I *seriously* question the
use of LEGO as the medium for Libera's work.  It's a toy for God's sake; what
does it have (seriously) to do with the Holocaust?

This has been discussed here before:

http://www.lugnet.com/build/?n=1659

In summary, Libera's motive was to make an *issue* of the recent
trivialization of the Holocaust.  In many places where Hitler's "final
solution" is a very real part of local history, there is a growing trend for
folks in the younger generations to dismiss it.  Libera, in his choice of a
child's toy for his medium, makes a very eloquent statement about this
up-and-coming point of view.

Consider that Libera himself spent time in a Communist concentration camp.
His view of what happens when you're stripped of basic human rights is much
more real than what mine, and I suspect yours, is.

To me, He *trivializes* the Holocaust.  If you want to be impacted by the
Holocaust, go to Yad Vashem in Tel Aviv or at the least see Steven
Spielberg's brilliant Shindler's List.  They will make you more than think;
they will make you cry.

As Libera's works made me cry.  They're not meant to be taken at face-value,
but along with his explanation of his revulsion of those who would poo-poo
human atrocity.  His art illustrates how he thinks other people may see the
Holocaust.  Among his fears is that this trivialization has already made its
way into the childrens' toy market.

I kinda feel the same way, myself.  It happens anywhere you go.  The entire
point behind my theme "Her Majesty's Secret Death Squad" was to parallel the
entire sick G.I. Joe toy line.  Instead of just promoting clandestine warfare
as a kid's toy, why not add some cute (LEGO) factor to it?  Why not introduce
our kids to this stuff at age two?  Just keep the blood off the nursery room
wallpaper.  (Note:  I am being sarcastic.)  It was Libera's work which had
shocked me into realizing what I was playing with during my youth.

I wholeheartedly agree that some art is truly awful.  It's probably a conflict
between the artist's motive and my morals.  Libera's motive was to inspire
discussion.  It worked!

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I've spent the past few years building up an immunity to bullets."
- Angus McGuire