 General / 8127
8126  |  8128
Subject:
LEGO as Art
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 06:16:42 GMT

Lego bricks have been used to create some very controversial art by a Polish
artist, Zbigniew Libera. For details, see the Concentration Camp web page
below.

http://users.erols.com/kennrice/lego-kz.htm

Hello Ken;

I want to thank you for posting this message.  I joined the LEGO
community in the last year, RTL later than that, and have not seen the
web site before.

I gather you first posted this link some time ago, and it most likely
generated a great deal of discussion.

I hope it isn't off topic to add my own thoughts.

I found the article very engaging.  This is the most thought provoking
use of LEGO I have `ever' seen.

Very powerful stuff.  The imagery and depictions I've seen of the
concentration camps in photos or film were instantly brought back to
memory.

I can understand why LEGO was appalled.  But I am glad they backed
down, realizing a court battle would generate more controversy for
them and their brand name.

I hope The LEGO Group has also come to realize that this exhibit will
not typically be seen by children.  The exhibit has little to do with
LEGO and more to do with the innocence of childhood vs. the realities
of the real world.

When I think of the slaughter humans are capable of; and there are
plenty of recent examples like East Timor, Rwanda, and the former
Yugoslavia; it makes me wonder if children, who are also exposed to
the daily news every day, do need to come to grips with the modern
world, and the acts committed in it, a lot sooner than most adults
realize, hope, or prey they didn't.

The artist has made a profound statement with his work.  That is what
artists do.  He has made me think.

<ICS>

Cross posted to Lugnet for those who have not seen this site before.