 Off-Topic / Debate / 2295
Re: Art? (was Re: LEGO as Art)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:17:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:

I got into a big debate in RTL a while back regarding the piece of "art"
entitled "LEGODEATH" and what constituted Art and I'm not particularily
interested in starting another, but I will say that I *seriously* question the
use of LEGO as the medium for Libera's work.  It's a toy for God's sake; what
does it have (seriously) to do with the Holocaust?  And if it doesn't have
anything to do with it, then why in hell use it?!  What next?  Minifig porn?
To me, He *trivializes* the Holocaust.  If you want to be impacted by the
Holocaust, go to Yad Vashem in Tel Aviv or at the least see Steven Spielberg's
brilliant Shindler's List.  They will make you more than think; they will make
you cry.  All Libera did was shock me into wondering what kind of an idiot
would construct such an exhibit.

-John

John,

I both agree and disagree with parts of what you say here.

First of all I do believe that LEGO is an art medium.  We all build things and
many of us put them up for display either on the internet or elsewhere.  In my
oppinion just the fact that we post models on the internet for all to view
makes it an art.  There are many art mediums that I don't care for but I accept
(some people create art out of trash for goodness sake!).

That all being said I would have to say I was also offended by Libera's work.
That does not mean that I question LEGO as an art medium or his subject matter.
I guess what I question is the use of LEGO with this particular subject
matter.  It does trivialize the Holocaust in my view.  Now just because I was
offended does not mean I think he should be barred from displaying it?  I don't
necessarily think so there is alot of art that offends me.  If enough people
are offended and don't view his display then it will not last long.  I also
think LEGO should have done its research first to find out what he planned to
do (which I am sure they do now seeing that they should have learned their
lesson).

Anyway my view is LEGO can be used as an Art medium but as allways the use of
that medium can be questioned.

Eric

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/