 Off-Topic / Debate / 2294
Re: Art? (was Re: LEGO as Art)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:44:11 GMT

My mom gave me this article a few years ago, and I thought it was really
unrealistic, because the picture showed the policeman (SS Trooper?) hitting a
skeleton minifigure with a club. I also thought it was a bit much for the artist
to use LEGO elements for this, but it must have been nice to recieve a bulk
order from them. :(

I looked at the webpage this morning. The set boxes, with the numbers and the
pieces disassembled, like real sets,  and the official LEGO logo on it, with the
words sponsered by TLG are plain wrong. Just using the logo on websites is a
trademark violation, and he used it as well. I wonder if he made instructions.

I think this pacticular artist took a extra special gift from TLG, and twisted
and demented it for his own amusement and profit. If he went out, bought his own
sets, and then built it, fine. I do the same thing. But he got the parts from
TLG, and slapped it back in their face, under the free speech banner. I think it
is a sad thing. The Holocaust is a tragedy, it should never be taken lightly,
and everyone should learn from it. But to hurt a repectable company for his own
interests is not a good thing. To imitate real sets, using the real logo, and so
forth, is stepping over the line, IMHO. If TLG dropped its lawsuit, shame on
them!

Scott S.

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

John Neal:

[ About Zbigniew Libera's Concentration Camp model:
  http://users.erols.com/kennrice/lego-kz.htm ]

[...] but I will say that I *seriously* question the use
of LEGO as the medium for Libera's work.  It's a toy for
God's sake;

I think that is the whole point. Even the "sweet" toys we
give kids can be used to depict horrible things. AFAIR
Libera also created scenes from mankind's dark side with
various other toys (Barbie comes to mind).

What I object to is the poor quality of the model. The guy
dosn't know a thing about using LEGO as a creative medium.

Jacob

      --  E-mail:        sparre@cats.nbi.dk         --
      --  Web...:  <URL:http://www.ldraw.org/FAQ/>  --

Scott E. Sanburn
CADD Operator, CADD Systems Administrator
Affiliated Engineers, Inc. Ann Arbor, MI

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/
Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/index.html
Lego Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/legoindex.html

“The more people I meet, the more I like my Lego collection.”