 Off-Topic / Debate / 2297
Re: Art? (was Re: LEGO as Art)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:40:57 GMT

John Neal wrote:

...I *seriously* question the use of LEGO as the medium for Libera's work.

What does it mean that you question it?  My personal take on art is that
it can be in any medium.

It's a toy for God's sake; what

So, if someone epoxied Hot Wheels together in the form of a rhinoceros,
it would be somehow inappropriate?

does it have (seriously) to do with the Holocaust?

Lego, per se, doesn't have anything to do (that I know of) with the
Holocaust.  So what?  What does paint have to do with Jesus?  Should we
slam the Sistine Chapel?

And if it doesn't have anything to do with it, then why in hell use it?!

Because some medium has to be used.  If he had carved those scenes out
of monolithic stones, would you still be freaking out?  In what way does
stone have anything more to do with it than LEGO?  It's just a
sculptural medium.

What next?  Minifig porn?  To

I'm sure you aren't the first to think of it.

me, He *trivializes* the Holocaust.  If you want to be impacted by the

I think some people are looking to be offended.  Those people will
always find something to be offended by.  More power to them.  Do you
think it was his goal to trivialize the holocaust?  At least he's not
claiming that it never happened.  He's bringing attention to it and
making us all think about the holocaust more.  Isn't more attention
better than less?  We need to learn from it and if his art gets people
thinking about it more, then I'm in favor of it completely aside from
the aesthetic merit.

I happen to think they're good renderings, but weak art.

Holocaust, go to Yad Vashem in Tel Aviv or at the least see Steven Spielberg's
brilliant Shindler's List.  They will make you more than think; they will make
you cry.

I agree that those are more serious treatments of it, and in my world
view, more valuable.  So what?  That doesn't take away from whatever
good Libera can do with his work.

   All Libera did was shock me into wondering what kind of an
idiot would construct such an exhibit.

Oh well.

Similarly, if you want some current (non LEGO) art to get riled about,
check out http://cnn.com/books/news/9909/28/saatchi.book/  :-)

Chris