 Off-Topic / Debate / 15828
Re: ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:16:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Noeckel writes:
Some answers to your questions;

Why general: because I posted a general question.
Why post the link: because by saying that there’s an issue in
Brickshelf would cause people to flood over there to see what's amiss.
(By saying there’s a fire in Brickshelf everyone would turn around and
check, but, by  posting a question directly regarding the situation would
hopefully incur some help.)

a lot better by dropping a note to Kevin

That's a good idea, to inform the Brickshelf administrator of the problem.
Yet, I was unaware of who the administrator was, and I didn’t know how to
contact him.

That raises a good point. The logical place to look for contact info
specific to a site is typically the site's "front door", in this case
www.brickshelf.com (contrast with LUGNET(tm) which has a clear way to
contact admins on the front page... the "feedback" link)

There is no contact info on that front door page of Brickshelf(tm) nor any
obvious link to follow to find it... That's possibly a failing. You sort of
have to be an "insider" to know what Kevin's email is. As it turns out,
there is no contact info on the front page of the most likely LUGNET
newsgroup that one might think to look in:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/brickshelf/... one could search that group
to try to determine who the owner of Brickshelf(tm) was... but that's sort
of inferring from what is said rather than solid info.

A public way to find Kevin's contact info is to follow this link
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/README

but that too is not at all obvious to the casual user, it's pretty obscure.

So yes, the suggestion of dropping Kevin a note depends on *knowing* how to
do that. But one STILL could just have posted a "how do I contact the admin
of Brickshelf" instead of posting the link (and, mea culpa, I and others
shouldn't have included the link in my reply). That note in and of itself
would not have been a "fire" call as you refer to above.

Kevin probably should fix that lacking.

Plus, I also wanted to understand the reasoning behind the individuals
purpose!

Why? Or in other words, who cares? LUGNET is not a psychology site.