 Off-Topic / Debate / 15392
Re: Try for summary of this debate...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:06:03 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
But even IF they're a load, it's a value judgement to say these (LEGO
related) images are "better" or "worse" than other LEGO related images. So
unless they are a HUGE load, say orders of magnitude worse than other
things, arguing against them from that angle smacks of discrimination
against these images, or these users, or this product line and I'm thinking
that's wrong, brickshelf ought not to be making value judgements... (WE
certainly can... it would be neat if Brickshelf had a "rate this image"
function (not to be confused with how many times it got viewed))

I'd like to highlight this a bit more. I think it would be a big mistake
to make any value judgements based on popularity contests for what
content is allowed. A "highlights" page which brought forth folders or
images which are highly rated would be nice, perhaps that's even the
easiest response to the problem of certain classes of image flooding the
recent pages. If you are not allowed to vote on your own images, a few
folks who peruse and rate the recent images folders will quickly create
a highlights list which contains all the interesting pictures.

I do support blocking certain classes of images so long as they can be
clearly defined (or enough fuzziness exists, such as the situation for
offensive pictures) and are reasonably justified. Such a rule could be
crafted for avatars (they are a pretty specific class of images used in
a pretty specific way - of course we still have the problem of how do we
determine that a particular image is in fact an avatar, though I suspect
it can be handled easily enough).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com