 Off-Topic / Debate / 15390
Re: Try for summary of this debate...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:47:31 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Without numbers, we have no idea if these avatars are a load (bandwidth
wise) on the server sufficient to know if Kevin should be concerned. Kevin
would have those numbers and could share them if he was so inclined. He
hasn't yet... maybe he's waiting for a consensus or maybe he isn't aware or
maybe he's busy or whatever.

Absolutely agreed. I think we've got to be careful about how we talk
about the bandwidth issue until we have hard data.

But even IF they're a load, it's a value judgement to say these (LEGO
related) images are "better" or "worse" than other LEGO related images. So
unless they are a HUGE load, say orders of magnitude worse than other
things, arguing against them from that angle smacks of discrimination
against these images, or these users, or this product line and I'm thinking
that's wrong, brickshelf ought not to be making value judgements... (WE
certainly can... it would be neat if Brickshelf had a "rate this image"
function (not to be confused with how many times it got viewed))

So I'm not sure I'd support a ban on avatars per se, despite being the
person who brought up the bandwidth argument in the first place, absent some
hard analysis and factual basis for such a ban.

I definitely agree with the above.

On the other hand, they DO seriously pollute the recent pages, as do a
number of other things as well. I don't think anyone here participating
except Tom I. would disagree with that. Everyone here except him has said
they don't like paging past pages of images that aren't relevent and aren't
something that should be seen in the recent list just to get to one or two
actual MOCs per page (which is how bad it is sometimes)

I think a way to suppress that pollution would be good. Not just for these
images but for a LOT of categories of images that really aren't "newsworthy"
per se, they are just images being hosted there for convenience.

Not having them appear in recent does NOT in any way shape or form reduce
their utility as images served up in some other context (eBay, BZ, Folder
headings once you actually have content there, etc), unless I am greatly
missing something. (I am not swayed by the "the author thinks it is
significant" argument for an avatar... education will fix that)

Making the default "don't update recent with this" would help. Putting some
help text in on why it (pollution of recent) is a problem would help.
Education of users would help. I suspect most avatar creators, were it
explained to them what's thoughtful and what isn't, would do the right
thing. Even the 9 year old ones would, I suspect. People are generally good.

Umm, isn't a 9 year old breaking Brickshelf's TOS no matter what he/she
posts? Otherwise I generally agree with the above, but I would point out
that an "opt in" to the recent pages would mean a certain number of
folders wouldn't get so marked (either because the poster forgot to
check the box, didn't think it was necessary, or whatever). An alternate
"recent" list which showed all folders whether marked or not would be
nice. Another nice feature would be some highlight list like Lugnet has
for news.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com