 Off-Topic / Debate / 12256
  Pay It Forward

Greetings! So I rented and watched the movie "Pay It Forward" a few nights ago. Pretty good movie. For those of you who haven't seen it, the story is about a troubled boy who, with a little inspiration from his teacher, puts into motion a plan to (...) (23 years ago, 25-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) Cynicism & selfishness. Actually, depending on the person, you could probably group cynicism under selfishness. (...) I think that's the general idea. But I think I'd say there are a few responses people would give to avoid "paying it (...) (23 years ago, 25-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) How about Cuba? (...) Agreed. If it is within your ability to help (and only you can define "ability") someone who needs the help (and, I think, only they can really define "needs"), then you "ought" to help. But not for more reward than the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) Are you saying that Cuba's systems are working well in practice? Are you saying Cuba is an example of Communism? Not clear what you're saying, exactly. I would say that it's not working well at all and isn't a very good example either. David (...) (23 years ago, 26-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) What if person X *was* Adolf Hitler? Maybe your random act of charity might have forever changed him and prevented what he would have otherwise done. And, isn't the question "How do I know person X is deserving?" in itself "evil"? Are we (...) (23 years ago, 26-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) I'm not saying that the above excuse is a good one. Dan asked why would or wouldn't people do it-- and I answered. And I'm *very* sure that *some* people would give that reason. (...) Rather selfish, I'd say. Sure I consider my skills to be (...) (23 years ago, 26-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) You are correct that it isn't a good example, but because Communism has not been ALLOWED to work in Cuba due to the crippling sanctions (embargo, boycott, whatever you wish to call it) imposed by America. It's like denying someone food and (...) (23 years ago, 26-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) That's all well and good (and you're welcome to believe it although much of is false), but you didn't answer the question. Fortunately I was asking Chris, I guess, so there's still hope. (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) Obviously, your question was not to me therefore what's to answer? (...) Chris can answer your question since only he knows what he meant by "How about Cuba?". I was just responding to your comments regarding Cuba and Communism. What part is (...) (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) Larry, If you are going to claim that posters are not telling the truth, I think you should do us all the courtesy of indicating where you think the untruths lie. Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) I don't get this. Why only help someone as part of a conditional agreement - why not just do good. What is the world coming to? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) I'm not going to pollute this thread more than I did already. The thread is about an unusual mechanism for seeing good works happen. I am not sure that there is general interest in revisiting the larger topic of communism. If there is and (...) (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) Larry, If you are going to claim that posters are not telling the truth, I think you should do us all the courtesy at least being willing to justify your comments rather that claiming you do not wish to "pollute" the thread further. Scott A (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) Oh, brother. I think it's fairly clear (to anyone who's spent any time at all in OT.DEBATE) from Larry's established viewpoint re: communism, as well as from the context of the brief exchange between Larry and Dan, that Larry is identifying as (...) (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) It would certainly depend on how you defined "working well." There are a large number of Cuban citizens who are quite content with their situation. Only the wealthy oppressors of the common man who have mostly come to the US were unhappy with (...) (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) So to determine where the untruths lie, I am expected to read through the 12000+ messages in .debate to built up a profile of Larry’s views on communism/Cuba. That is preposterous. Truth/untruth may have nothing to do with Larry's past stated (...) (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) Not really. This section of the thread has changed course. I made a quick reference to it (communism) as an example and the topic blossomed. (...) I wouldn't say *that* :) Obviously there are several interested in the topic... (I'm not one of (...) (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) Well maybe since it is DJ who he accused of making false statements, he should reply to him: (URL) A (...) (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Pay It Forward

(...) Correct. US embargoes, while bogus on their very face, and not something I support in the general case, are not a sufficient excuse for Communism's failure in Cuba in and of themselves. (...) Thanks for the restatement. (23 years ago, 27-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)