 Off-Topic / Debate / 12262
Re: Pay It Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 17:47:34 GMT

Are you saying that Cuba's systems are working well in practice? Are you
saying Cuba is an example of Communism? Not clear what you're saying,
exactly. I would say that it's not working well at all and isn't a very good
example either.

You are correct that it isn't a good example, but because Communism has not
been ALLOWED to work in Cuba due to the crippling sanctions (embargo,
boycott, whatever you wish to call it) imposed by America. It's like denying
someone food and then criticizing them for not eating enough. We really
don't have a fair way of knowing how well the Cuban government COULD work
since Cuba does NOT have the ability to trade for food, oil, raw goods, and
manufactured goods like other nations.

The reality is that the Cold War era American "old guard" are still pissed
at Castro for taking away their Havana getaway. The sanctions are
instruments of revenge, outdated yet kept in place mainly by America's elite
to spite Castro for kicking them out of Cuba. Money, not political idealism,
is the motivation here. The sanctions serve only to bring down Cuba some day
so that the country's beauty and people can again be exploited by wealthy
Americans.

Therefore, as far as using Cuba as an example of Communism NOT working, I
strongly feel that the American sanctions automatically negate the validity
of such assertions. To Cuba's credit, the nation has proved to be quite
flexible and resourceful in the face of one shortage after another.

Dan