 Off-Topic / Debate / 12258
Re: Pay It Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 12:02:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

In short, take the example of Communism. Great idea, never worked well in
practice.

How about Cuba?

Who would or would not try this idea out in real life and why?

I wouldn't. For a combination of the reasons above. But also because the
premise of "pay it forward" in the movie was off. The real essence of the
idea of charity isn't to help people because you were helped or because you
might get help-- it's to help people because they need helping.

Agreed.  If it is within your ability to help (and only you can define
"ability") someone who needs the help (and, I think, only they can really
define "needs"), then you "ought" to help.  But not for more reward than the
knowledge that you have helped someone in need.

Chris