 Off-Topic / Debate / 12266
Re: Pay It Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 08:23:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Greetings! So I rented and watched the movie "Pay It Forward" a few nights
ago. Pretty good movie. For those of you who haven't seen it, the story is
about a troubled boy who, with a little inspiration from his teacher, puts
into motion a plan to make the world better. The idea is to help out three
separate strangers in a profound way. They, in turn, must pay the good deed
"forward" (to other strangers rather than back to their benefactor) and so
on. Of course, there is the catch that there is no way to enforce it and
people can easily flake out (which several did).

I don't get this. Why only help someone as part of a conditional agreement -
why not just do good. What is the world coming to?

Scott A

So what if people really tried doing this? I wonder, is cynicism the only
obstacle keeping this idea from working? I think most people would scoff at
such an idea and use the excuse of "Why should I try if there's no certainty
that it will make a difference?" Or maybe people feel good about the world
and don't think it needs fixing. Who would or would not try this idea out in
real life and why?

Dan