 Off-Topic / Debate / 12257
Re: Pay It Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 17:09:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
So what if people really tried doing this? I wonder, is cynicism the only
obstacle keeping this idea from working?

Cynicism & selfishness. Actually, depending on the person, you could
probably group cynicism under selfishness.

I think most people would scoff at
such an idea and use the excuse of "Why should I try if there's no certainty
that it will make a difference?"

I think that's the general idea. But I think I'd say there are a few

- How do I know person X is deserving? What if they're Adolf Hitler? I
wouldn't want to help evil people even if I could, so I don't want to take
that chance.

- (related to above) How do I know that person X will continue the chain?
What if I could've helped someone different who *would* have continued it?
(again) I can't trust my own judgement of strangers to decide well who to help.

- What about me? Why should I even help these people? My actions would hurt
myself in some way (generally true), and wouldn't have any self-benefit
(except for self-worth, which is highly undervalued)

Or maybe people feel good about the world and don't think it needs fixing.

While there are those out there, I think only very few would see this as a
"big picture" kind of thing. And in the small scale, most people DO think
the people around them need helping-- they just aren't selfless enough to do
something about it.

In short, take the example of Communism. Great idea, never worked well in
practice. People are way too quick to take advantage of other people's
selflessness.

Who would or would not try this idea out in real life and why?

I wouldn't. For a combination of the reasons above. But also because the
premise of "pay it forward" in the movie was off. The real essence of the
idea of charity isn't to help people because you were helped or because you
might get help-- it's to help people because they need helping. The idea of
self-return is the only thing that can keep such an idea from even getting
off the ground. Personally, I think that's one of the reasons Christianity
is so successful. It promises "heaven" for those who are charitable, and
"hell" to those who are not.

But I'll opt for something different. My philosophy on the matter is not to
pay forward 3 big favors. Pay forward as many favors as you can, big or
small. You can't always justify favors of the magnitude of the movie, but
you *can* justify at least *some* favors. Chances are your favors will never
be appreciated, and don't expect them to be. But when they are, that's when
you'll feel best about it.

$.02,
DaveE