 Off-Topic / Debate / 12004
Re: A Brave New World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:19:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:

I understand the bald eagle is an endangered species, not to mention our
national bird.  The fact that it has eggs adds a bit of weight.  But, I'm sure
there would have been ways to safely transplant the bird to another location
where it can still exist in its natural habitat.

You are sure of this...why?

They let one animal be the
difference between a more efficient airport access road, even AFTER they • kicked
the HUMANS in the area out.  Something's messed up there, when nature and
animals have more rights than people.

Animls don't have more rights than people.  However, people are just beginning
to take our role as stewards of this planet seriously.  It would have been
better if they could have identified the eagle's presense before migrating the
people, but sometimes accidents happen.  I happen to support the stance that we
can not afford to lose more species.  We just don't know what untold treasures
lie in the genes of the critters that we're destroying.  Apart from the
aesthetic that tells me that buldozing endangered species is inappropriate,
from the selfish stance of our species, migrating a few people around is small
potatoes compared to losing such resources for all time.

Chris