 Off-Topic / Debate / 11991
Re: A Brave New World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:42:48 GMT

Unfortunately, there isn't any way we can live in "harmony" with mother nature.
If we really wanted to preserve Earth, then we'd have to give up our current
lifestyles. Yup, no more SUV's, no more fertilizer (nitrogen), no more nuclear
powerplants, no more garbage dumps, etc.

Any living organism creates toxins in their environment. This wouldn't be a
real problem to the environment if it was open, infinite. Unfortunately we live
in the biggest closed bottle ever made. Eventually the crap (pardon my French
;-p) is going to fill up to the top and we'll have no more space to live in, or
we'll be poisoned.

It's pretty bleak, yes?

The solution: colonize the planets, create space station capable of sustaining
life, terraform planets, etc. Your basic sci-fi concepts.

Mladen Pejic, over and out!
http://members.attcanada.ca/~milovan/index.htm

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
I understand some of the benefits that cloning technology could have.
Unfortunately, I'm a bit leary (paranoid? Biased?) that the technology seems
to be nearing success at the same time that population control is becoming a
serious issue...the repurcussions could eventually weed out individualism,
which I am entirely against.

There must be other alternatives to living in "harmony" with the Earth's
ecosystem.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

I believe it is no accident that the european nations are pursuing the
science of cloning while speaking out against procreation.  The only sane
reason for this is to ensure a future population that has been manufactured.

Kirby,

It sounds from this and a subsequent response that you might be opposed to
clone-related research.  That's not so is it?  What's to be against?

Chris