 Off-Topic / Debate / 12080
Re: A Brave New World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:35:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:
it seems the US government just can't let Cuba alone
either.  It must really get some people's backs up that Communism is happily
trundling along just off shore.

Well I agree that we ought not to single out Cuba for special treatment
(perhaps Nike should try to set up some factories there so that they can get
the same deal China does???) but I'm not so sure I'm convinced that things
are "happily trundling along" except under rather unusual definitions of
those three words. My impression is that things are pretty miserable there,
and getting worse.

True, but then again I'd like to see how it fared if all the trade embargoes
were lifted.  It's not like Cuba has any effect on US oil production or
anything.  Just think, you'd all be able to get those big chunky cigars
cheaper, without having to re-import via the UK all the time.

Via Canada, but ya. I won't smoke them, though, too iffy on how they were
made and whose pockets get lined from the sales.