 Off-Topic / Debate / 12002
Re: A Brave New World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 04:34:18 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:GGwMGp.62J@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mladen Pejic writes:
<snip description of classic resource based "limits to growth" problem)

It's pretty bleak, yes?

Indeed.

The solution: colonize the planets, create space station capable of • sustaining
life, terraform planets, etc. Your basic sci-fi concepts.

Indeed. Open the bottle (to use your metaphor). Or put some of your eggs in
other baskets ( to use RAH's). Ad Astra Per Aspera. Most of the mass of the
solar system lies elsewhere, as does most of the energy. We have but to go
get it.

The only problem is how to get the robust space based infrastructure we
need. NASA and the Int'l Space Station ain't the way. Saying "we need to fix
problems here first" ain't the way. Trusting the big multinationals to see
the money in it hasn't worked so far either.

I believe space colonization will grow because of the private sector, not
because of something a government does.

After doing a little studying (enough to write the biggest term paper I had in
HS) on lunar colonization, I know that there is tremendous possibility for
industry on the moon.  With a few decades of work, we can have a colony which is
virtually self-sustaining.

But while here on Earth, we should be as good of stewards of our environment as
we possibly can, without it causing unnecessary harm to the development of
mankind.  Environmentalism is a big issue which I have only scracthed the
surface of in my readings.  As for my stance on it, I'm for protecting the
environment but not for doing so at the expense of humans or human development,
especially when the benefits of preserving the environment are outweighed by
very small environmental issues.

Example - my grandfather, who lives in NH, told me about plans for Manchester to
build a new access highway to their (expanding) airport.  They condemned houses
in its path (I don't know if they tore them down or not) and prepared for
construction.  But one bald eagle with eggs was found in the path, so the
environmentalists had them can the project.

I understand the bald eagle is an endangered species, not to mention our
national bird.  The fact that it has eggs adds a bit of weight.  But, I'm sure
there would have been ways to safely transplant the bird to another location
where it can still exist in its natural habitat.  They let one animal be the
difference between a more efficient airport access road, even AFTER they kicked
the HUMANS in the area out.  Something's messed up there, when nature and
animals have more rights than people.

-Tim