 Off-Topic / Debate / 12074
Re: A Brave New World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:37:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mladen Pejic writes:
Unfortunately, there isn't any way we can live in "harmony" with mother nature.

Unless humanity was transplanted on Earth rather than evolving naturally, or
was created by a divine entity, then yes, there is a way to live in harmony
with the environment.

If we really wanted to preserve Earth, then we'd have to give up our current
lifestyles. Yup, no more SUV's, no more fertilizer (nitrogen), no more nuclear
powerplants, no more garbage dumps, etc.

SUV's only need a clean fuel source, not really a big deal unless it takes
another hundred years to develop those sources...

To my knowledge, nitrogen exists naturally in more abundance than oxygen, so
it shouln't be considered a toxin unless it reaches lethal levels...

Again, to my knowledge, nuclear power plants produce clean exhaust
(hydrogen?) and only poses a significant problem when thier cores melt down
or the waste product is stored improperly.  I have read that recent nuclear
plants actually reuse their own waste and meltdowns are virtually impossible
as the core will sink into a chemical coolant when temperatures exceed a
safe level.

Garbage dumps are one thing that I have yet to read into, however, you have
perked my interest on that one (man, do they ever STINK when I drive by
them) and I will be on the lookout for information on them.

Any living organism creates toxins in their environment. This wouldn't be a
real problem to the environment if it was open, infinite. Unfortunately we live
in the biggest closed bottle ever made. Eventually the crap (pardon my French
;-p) is going to fill up to the top and we'll have no more space to live in, or
we'll be poisoned.

I don't think that nature is toxic.  It has an amazing recycling system.

It's pretty bleak, yes?

only if you really think that your above discription is how things work

The solution: colonize the planets, create space station capable of sustaining
life, terraform planets, etc. Your basic sci-fi concepts.

Mladen Pejic, over and out!
http://members.attcanada.ca/~milovan/index.htm

Not trying to frazzle you, just disagreeing with your bleakness.