 Off-Topic / Debate / 11987
Re: A Brave New World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:09:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:

and it seems the US government just can't let Cuba alone
either.  It must really get some people's backs up that Communism is happily
trundling along just off shore.

It does.  I find it amusing when people react that way.

I don't know your opinion on this, so don't
take it as an attack.  But, I fear now that Bush will not fare so well as
Clinton on global matters.

I think it depends on what you mean by 'well.'  Our conservatives have become
much more concerned with the domestic agenda than in the recent past.  Bush
mirrors that concern.  I think he's likely to be less popular abroad, but that
doesn't really matter.

I think interfering with another country is acceptable though if
its welcomed by the population of that other country.

I think such interference is OK when it's really important.  Regardless of
their opinion.

I'd just like to understand
why the US is the way it is, particularly since we all started out from the
same point in history.

I think it's important to remember that at least many of the Europeans who
ended up here, were misfits in their own nation.  (Maybe y'all culled out those
with genetic disposition toward authority conflicts.)

  Despite writing down your right to overturn dodgy
governments and replace them with new ones (clearly stemming from having
just done so to the British rulers over there), you don't appear to have
done it nearly enough for your own satisfaction*.

That is my stance.  I think we would be healthier if we were wiping the slate
clean every few years...like 20-50, and beginning anew.

The British, on the other
hand, have never needed a bit of paper to tell them how to refine the
government, and doubtless ever will.

We have bits of paper limiting what the government can do to us.  You don't.
Theoretically, a law could pass tomorrow that enslaved you.  That would be
tougher here, I think.

*Please do not take this as incitement to riot.  I gather the FB-Aye
consider investigating such matters as far too serious to get involved with
trivia like international jurisdiction.

I don't think the Fat Boys' Institute will hassle you over it.

Chris