 Off-Topic / Debate / 11988
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:16:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

I never, ever said anything about rifles and shotguns. By all means, it
would be great if every American had one in the home as a last measure of
home defense.

Why would that be great?

In the event of another American revolution, a rifle would be
a far more effective weapon on the battlefield than a pistol.

We wouldn't have battle fields.  We would have the ugliest guerilla war in
history.  And pistols would be awfully important because they're easier to
conceal when you're approaching a small group of cops.

I'm talking
about banning handguns and concealable automatic weapons (i.e. Uzi's,
Mac-10's, and other small machine guns) that are predominately used in crimes.

We need those SMGs so that we can get into camps where the soldiery is sleeping
and mow them down en masse before they have time to respond.

There is debate on large machine guns like the M-16 and AK-47.

I think of those as small machine guns.

These are
assualt weapons, their purpose is to kill people and I know of few true
outdoorsmen who go hunting with these weapons. However, if there must be a
compromise on the issue (to satisfy the paranoia of revolt against the
government), the larger, hard-to-conceal automatics may stay but must be
registered

So that if a revolution ever did happen, the gubmint could quickly scoop all of
these kinds of weapons up.  Are you kidding?  We're not going to fall for that.
You just go ahead and pass your little laws if that will make you feel safer.
But we're not giving up our weapons.

Chris