 Off-Topic / Debate / 11995
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 01:26:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
I never, ever said anything about rifles and shotguns. By all means, it
would be great if every American had one in the home as a last measure of
home defense.

Why would that be great?

Why wouldn't it?

In the event of another American revolution, a rifle would be
a far more effective weapon on the battlefield than a pistol.

We wouldn't have battle fields.  We would have the ugliest guerilla war in
history.  And pistols would be awfully important because they're easier to
conceal when you're approaching a small group of cops.

Are you clairvoyant or is this your self fulfilling prophecy?

We need those SMGs so that we can get into camps where the soldiery is sleeping
and mow them down en masse before they have time to respond.

Lovely thought.

So that if a revolution ever did happen, the gubmint could quickly scoop all of
these kinds of weapons up.  Are you kidding?

As if it it would happen that way. I can be just as clairvoyant on this
issue as you. Maybe government officials trying to scoop them up would get
blasted before they made down the street. Maybe the government would use
helicopter gunships, then rifles and pistols would be a non-issue. There are
hundreds of scenarios and you can have whatever paranoid fantasy you wish or
deal with the now. This is the time we live in and we can avoid a future
revolution by paying more attention to where our laws are coming from. The
NRA isn't protecting our rights. They're protecting the multi-billion $$$
gun industry in this country.

We're not going to fall for that.

Who is we?

You just go ahead and pass your little laws if that will make you feel safer.

Whatever, bubba. I, Dan Jassim, am not making or passing any laws here,
little or otherwise. If anything, I'm suggesting that the people of this
country should ALL have a say on the matter, regardless of whether they
support or oppose handguns and automatic weapons.

But we're not giving up our weapons.

Who is we? Has this become a "we" versus "them" thing? Who is "them?"

Dan