 Off-Topic / Debate / 12005
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:26:08 GMT

I happen to think that
referendums are a terrible idea at the national level, because I think a
more representative and less straight democratic government is better.

I think I disagree, though I'd invite anyone to convince me.  I think we should
do away with all our laws, start over, and put everything up for straight
democratic vote.  And each and every law/issue would need 75% in favor in order
to pass.  I'd bet good money that we'd end up with a preferable system.

Me, I'd love to see a constitutional convention. We've never had one of
those. It would give a chance for wholesale change to the constitution
rather than one amendment at a time change.

Agreed!

Chris