 Off-Topic / Debate / 12006
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:42:03 GMT

I have one tiny point of confusion... I had always heard Jefferson, et. al.,
referred to as a "classical liberal" rather than a "radical conservative". I
suspect your use of the term is getting at the same idea(1), but am curious
as to whether it's something you saw used elsewhere, or what the provenance
of the term

I made it up myself.

Cool. Some snippage has occured during the posting process.

::rant mode set at 11::

My point would be that the traditional, and especially current, uses of the
words "radical," "conservative," "liberal," and etc. are so abused as to no
longer make any sense at all. They have lost all connection to what might
have once originally been meant by the use of these terms.

Indeed. We're stuck because we can't make up new words and the old ones are
polluted. At least if you put modifiers on people ask what you mean (some of
the time) instead of just assuming. Hence "classical liberal" offering the
chance to explain that what is meant is Enlightenment style liberalism as
opposed to New Deal style. etc. So you've got a good term there in "radical
conservative".

I am bent on upholding our original Constitutional republic in a way that I
think makes most republicans and democrats quake in their boots -- all those
guys and gals REALLY want is to lick the boots of corporations and sell out
our political heritage out from under us in the name of globalization (the
U.N.) and a monetary system that is more easily tracked (Federal Reserve
Notes, or whatever is coming next) -- all the while stuffing gold into their
pockets.  So I am conservative inasmuch as I want to preserve what is for me
our ancient common law heritage as seen through the eyes of our nation's
ideological heroes Jefferson, Madison, (to a far lesser extent) Hamilton,
etc. Conservative as in: "favoring traditional views and values; tending to
oppose change."  I oppose stupid and pointless Amendments to the
Constitution like those concerning taxation (The Supreme Court has ruled
that the 16th Amendment has essentially no force in law) and prohibition
(drug laws being something I personally believe to be outside the purview of
the correct purposes of our government -- I mean, I will not tell George
Washington NOT to smoke hemp if he will look the other way as regards my
personal habits also!).  I applaud changes consistent with some of the
original intent of the Constitution like the 14th and 15th Amendments (stuff
that was debated by didn't get in for other political reasons, like keeping
the south a part of the proposed union). Slow and useful change is good.
Hurried and stopgap change is bad.

I maintain a dystopic view of the United States as a North American game
preserve where we, the people, are controlled by our government, rather than
it serving our needs as individuals. I reject the notion that our government
has any delegated purpose to safeguard the interests of fictitious persons
and deathless corporate entities.  The sole purpose of our Constitutional
government is to maintain the civil and substantive property rights of it's
citizenry -- it's natural born persons.  That's about it.  That means: no
standing armies, no welfare, no public school, etc. But it also means
regulating trade with foreign powers and amongst the states, it also means
minting money under the U.S. government (fine gold and silver please!), and
it means settling disputes between persons, states, and persons and states.
Stuff like that...stuff like we ain't got!

Well said, I too want to "go back" to Federal as not meaning all powerful.

What we have is admiralty and equity, what we should have is common law.
That's a huge gap, and I'd really like to take it back to something that
makes sense for the people rather than for the corporations.

I know you Rand fans like to think of corporations as your friends somehow,
but just remember that Ann always neoclassically figured her corporations as
being owned by strong, willful, individual men who held the engine of the
world in their powerful, private, and naturally born hands -- and not as
deathless entities like AOL Time-Warner, or whatever...I think it's a big
difference.

Oh, I agree with that. I'm not such a big fan of corps as some think. I'm OK
with them in concept but would want to see their shielding power cut way
back... you've no doubt seen me advocate that officers of corps have to be
able to be held personally liable for stuff. I see that in and of itself as
a huge check on corp power. Some others are needed as well.

Ayn's idea of sole proprietorships won't work with really huge organizations
though. (although you could argue that there have been some quite
influential corps that were run as if they were sole proprietorships.
Turner, Dell and Microsoft come to mind (none are exactly that of course) )

I'm not as enamoured of Rand as I used to be. I still enjoyed her work (a
rarity, I know, it's not very accessible as a read) and still think the
ideas she gives you to think about are good ones to mull over, but I'm not
keen on chain smoking heros who are opposed to a little herb now and then
either. Too contradictory.

John Galt did not make an IPO.

No kidding, he never would have had the stomach for THAT!

Great post.

++Lar