 Off-Topic / Debate / 11312
Re: someone has to say it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 16:14:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Interesting. Why do you think it would be abused and ducked behind? In your
opinion, is it about their dishonesty and laziness? Is it lack of
satisfaction with the job and any excuse not to work? How abused do you
think it would it be? What do you think?

A little of both dishonesty, laziness, and subconsious bias. And certain
people would abuse it more than others, I think-- and of course SOME people
abusing it leads to more, when their abuse becomes apparent. And SOME become
offended. Etc. But that's just my thought on the issue.

The reason I ask is that we
shouldn't have the attitude of not trying something new for fear it may
abused (though it certainly might be). It may seem futile, but we improve
through trial and error.

Of course! But isn't the issue here to say what we think, rather than what
we practice? I'm not so sure of myself that I think such a happy medium
can't be found. I even said elsewhere that I wouldn't mind (in *some*
circumstances) trying the policy out were I an employer. I expect there
*are* situations where it would do well. However, my preliminary judgement
tells me that it's bound to fail when done on any large scale, and possibly
on small scales. Simply because I haven't tried it doesn't necessarily mean
I'll do it or advocate it :)

DaveE