 Off-Topic / Debate / 11289
Re: someone has to say it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 03:16:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
Is a persons only purpose in life to work for a corporate entity who shows
no humanity in the regulating of its workforce?

Many of the posts in recent debates, in particular the recent debate
concerning sexism, appear to have been written by very cold and callouse
people who may have lost touch with humanity...as though they now look at
humanity from outside some glass box.

Potentially being one of the subjects of this post (?) I'd like to make a
distinction here-- I think the first time I was forced to realize it was
reading Emanuel Levinas-- the distinction between the morals of charity and
justice.

Justice is that of which I was predominantly speaking during the sexism
debate. Is it just (or "fair" as I said earlier) to give more those who
contribute less, or even the same as those contributing more? No. The laws
of pure justice are merely for equality, not generosity.

Charity on the other hand is another story. Charity is that which says "I
want others to be happy, even if by justice, they don't deserve it." Do the
poor "deserve" food? By justice? No. By charity? Yes.

Which do I live by? Both of course. I don't think I know anyone who
doesn't... Although Tom S. admittedly did sound as if he were arguing for
the point of justice with no regard for charity. But I don't think he meant
(or means) to do such. Do we argue that business should be cold and
heartless (just and not charitable)? Probably not. After all, which company
would you rather work for? I don't expect you want your company to never
offer you a break. I expect most people *like* things like health benefits,
which aren't beneficial for the company, EXCEPT for the fact that it makes
the job attractive for employees. The more charitable they are, the more
people want to work there.

On the other hand, let's suppose (for the sake of the argument at hand) you
had no children, and had to work 50 hours a week for the same pay as someone
with 1 child who worked 5 hours a week on the same job. Is your company
being TOO charitable, and not just enough? I'd say so. If the company
becomes TOO charitable, they become unjust, and often (more disasterous for
the company) unprofitable too.

And somewhere between these extremes is the place where we're content as
emplyees. Somewhere where we feel that companies are being fair enough and
charitable enough, without overstepping the boundaries of each. And of
course the actual question Shiri proposed was is giving time off for PMS
symptoms too unjust? Or is *not* allowing time off too uncharitable? Is
there a happy medium between the two wherein a balanced policy can exist?
Personally, I think it's only possible in theory-- in practice such a policy
would become abused and ducked behind.

DaveE