 Off-Topic / Debate / 11340
Re: someone has to say it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 13:12:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:

me included, have a lot more than just a "little" problem with the period.
And I dislike the association to PMS - I don't act bitchy or complain a
*lot* more (1) before my period (*pre*menstrual) than I do during any other
time of the month (not even the period itself, usually). The term PMS is so
often used to classify any female who's a little upset about something or
other. I'm talking about physical pain, not even the mood swings and
whatever else you want to put under the title "PMS". (2)

My wife (who was on the pill the entire time I knew her, prior to our attempt
at pregnancy) suffered very slight physical discomfort from her cycle.
However, when she was premenstrual, she was quite simply irrational and
agressive.  (Of course, you can't tell her that at the time :-)

I had pretty good success when she was trying to pick a fight by just refusing
to engage, and telling her that she is trying to pick a fight.  By not
attacking back, I gave her the space she needed to examine her emotions, jump
some kind of psychological hurdle and go back to being nice.  And it was for a
two day period like clockwork.  (And she was always surprised that I knew her
period was coming...?)  There must be some pretty facinating stuff going on
hormonally to make such a marked and periodic change.

Would it be opening a can of worms to imagine a pre-menopausal woman as
president?  :-)

<snip>
At Bristol-Myers Squibb, where I
work, that mean PTO for both parents.  At AT&T that means up to a year of
unpaid family leave with the assurance of a job when you return.

Hmm, interesting! I like that. Is that just "family leave"? Can it be used
for other things as well, or...?

I'm not sure.  There are other kinds of leave for bereavement and stuff, and
there is leave of some kind for adoptions, but I don't think you can just take
a year off for any old thing and have job when you get back.

My parents are just ending a year of unpaid leave from the Technion
Institute of Tech. in Haifa - where they both teach - that's how we stayed
here two years, not just one (as their sabbatical allows). But then again,
that's the academia, which has its saving graces and its major pains in the
rear.

Yeah, I'm sure that's a mixed blessing.  I've toyed with being an academic, but
I think I'm better now.  So when are y'all going back?  Has this been a good
experience for the family?

Chris