 Off-Topic / Debate / 11331
Re: someone has to say it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:24:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

Do you really think that choosing to raise a family is tatamount to
inflicting a prohibitive "medical condition" on ones self?

During pregnancy, women do experience a "condition" (my wife is dealing with it
right now).  She is less able to perform physically.  She goes to the car most
work days and takes a one hourish nap.  And she makes up the time.  But she
just _could not_ be productive all day without that.  It has affected her work
performance.  Why should AT&T eat the loss that she (we) chose to make?

Is a persons only purpose in life to work for a corporate entity who shows
no humanity in the regulating of its workforce?

From the point of view of an employer, the people who make the company's
business happen are human capital.  That might mean that being flexible makes
the most sense because they want to attract and retain good people, or it might
mean that those who can't cut it need to hit the road.  In fact, it does mean
both of those things in different situations.  Companies needn't think about
the overall purpose of _your_ life.  That's for _you_ to do.

I agree entirely with the stance that Tom Stangl has taken.  I personally,
wouldn't object to giving women PTO for their little problems.  :-)  But I
would a great deal if I thought they were being abused.  And how would I know?
If a company wants to encourage the employees engaging in a family lifestyle,
and I can see how that would be good for the company, then they probably ought
to provide equal leave for men and women.  At Bristol-Myers Squibb, where I
work, that mean PTO for both parents.  At AT&T that means up to a year of
unpaid family leave with the assurance of a job when you return.

Chris