 Off-Topic / Debate / 11311
Re: someone has to say it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:54:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Actually, the opposite - charity/justice for all.  All equal PTO/PFT, giving
everyone the Quality Time they need.

1st off, just to get it out of the way, what's PTO/PFT?

Anyway, you sound like you're saying *equal* charity for *all*, yes? But
that really doesn't follow from my own assumptions of what charity is--
charity being that which is selfless, and not equal. I'll give of myself to
help others, in other words-- not being "fair". It's not "eye-for-an-eye"
necessarily.

Now, granted, what you're arguing for *is* charity from the company's
perspective. It's giving of itself to its employees, probably more than it
should (arguable). And in that respect, you're certainly arguing for the
charitable.

The question really arises when its benefactors are *unequal*, though. As a
childless employee, I don't object to those with children getting incresed
benefits. Is it unfair/unjust? Sure, assuming that I put in the same amount
of time into the job that these others get. But my sense of justice isn't
very violated (at least in company policies that *I've* seen-- I can imagine
those that I *would* call "bad" overall). And because it's violated
*towards* charitibility, it's even more acceptable to me.

However, I would assume that you're saying that regardless of their
situation, we should be treated equally. Personally, I'd put that in the
realm of justice, not charity-- which simply means (to me) that you lean
more towards justice than charity than I do.

DaveE