 Off-Topic / Debate / 11315
Re: someone has to say it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 18:38:58 GMT

A little of both dishonesty, laziness, and subconsious bias. And certain
people would abuse it more than others, I think-- and of course SOME people
abusing it leads to more, when their abuse becomes apparent. And SOME become
offended. Etc. But that's just my thought on the issue.

Yeah, it's too bad people choose dishonesty. It's their honor I guess and it
will catch up to them sooner or later. I love watching "Dateline" or "20/20"
when they catch people in insurance scams. A guy has "back problems" from a
work related "injury" yet the detective catches him on video doing flips on
a trampoline or something. I love the dumb look on their faces when they
see the video and try to cook up an excuse :)

Of course! But isn't the issue here to say what we think, rather than what
we practice? I'm not so sure of myself that I think such a happy medium
can't be found. I even said elsewhere that I wouldn't mind (in *some*
circumstances) trying the policy out were I an employer. I expect there
*are* situations where it would do well. However, my preliminary judgement
tells me that it's bound to fail when done on any large scale, and possibly
on small scales. Simply because I haven't tried it doesn't necessarily mean
I'll do it or advocate it :)

I know it's hard not to be cynical, I'm the King of Cynicism. It's too bad a
few bad apples have to ruin the pie. Thanks for your comments!

Dan