 Off-Topic / Debate / 11332
Re: someone has to say it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 01:25:08 GMT

I agree entirely with the stance that Tom Stangl has taken.  I personally,
wouldn't object to giving women PTO for their little problems.  :-)

*Little* problems? Ho ho ho... I dunno, I wouldn't call them that little.
<only half tongue in cheek here> I know this varies, but some people I know,
me included, have a lot more than just a "little" problem with the period.
And I dislike the association to PMS - I don't act bitchy or complain a
*lot* more (1) before my period (*pre*menstrual) than I do during any other
time of the month (not even the period itself, usually). The term PMS is so
often used to classify any female who's a little upset about something or
other. I'm talking about physical pain, not even the mood swings and
whatever else you want to put under the title "PMS". (2)

<snip>
At Bristol-Myers Squibb, where I
work, that mean PTO for both parents.  At AT&T that means up to a year of
unpaid family leave with the assurance of a job when you return.

Hmm, interesting! I like that. Is that just "family leave"? Can it be used
for other things as well, or...?

My parents are just ending a year of unpaid leave from the Technion
Institute of Tech. in Haifa - where they both teach - that's how we stayed
here two years, not just one (as their sabbatical allows). But then again,
that's the academia, which has its saving graces and its major pains in the
rear.

-Shiri

(1) I do complain a little bit more during my period, probably, yeah. But I
don't think that's horomonal - it's just natural to get annoyed often when
you're not feeling well, isn't it? <shrug>
(2) As Dave put it eloquently, every stereotype has some sort of basis from
real-life. But I'm not talking about the stereotype, I'm talking about
actual, physical (not emotional!) symptoms.