 Off-Topic / Debate / *12416 (-20)
  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) What a loaded topic I got into. Like you mentioned trade sanctions worked in South Africa, but it haven't worked for Iraq and Cuba. It is doubtful that trade sanctions would bring major positive changes in China. The communist still have tight (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Greg Perry writes: (snipped a great deal of very good points about constructive criticism and reasoned debate) (...) It was all going so well Greg and I respected what you were saying until this point. I think that in (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Greg: That is the type of comment that frequently--and not always incorrectly--elicits charges of bigotry or at least misguided nationalism. Obviously, I have no idea of the true nature of your real-world feelings, but the tenor of your (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  RE: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Ironically, your favorite toy is sold by all three of those chains, alongside its inferior Canadian competitor... You probably get your storage containers there too (I do). (...) Rampant consumerism...you mean like the average AFOL buying any (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes: (snipped) (...) Admittedly, your succint comments provoked certain thoughts about you, your attitude and communication skills. However, despite what you might "think" it didn't in any way make me reconsider (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GJ8yo0.77@lugnet.com... (...) Personally, I do think there is place for individuals not to buy the product of a given company - or specifically favour those from a certain origin. A few years (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

I hear what you are saying - you make some very good points. But lets put China aside for a moment. Do you think we should trade with the very worst of governments in the hope that the revenues empower workers in some small way? Or do you think (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) More or less yes. Your fine product may be assembled in some other country, but it's componets can come from anywhere - from tiny resistors to motors. There is no 'pure' first world electronic products. Also where is your humanitarian concern (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Military Lego Sets

(...) :) <Smiles at both the monkey comment and the previous head steppin' fiasco> (...) So, Where do you teach at Lindsay? I assume you’re a professor? When you said ‘institution’ I deduced that it’s a school and not a ward!?! ;) --==Richard==-- (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Views on asylum seekers?

(...) So where do you draw the line? What is "safe for refugees"? What happens when (not if) a house deemed "safe enough" causes injury / death, and the nearest lawyer sues on their behalf? Who foots the bill (for either side)? And do you think (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are we doing the right thing?

(...) Forgive my bad ettiquette, but an edit is in order; This sentence should read "Why, those who have in fact butchered, raped, and terrorized." james (23 years ago, 5-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are we doing the right thing?

(...) The presence of gray areas in any moral calculus, i.e., moral conundrums, does not negate moral principles. In some circumstances we do not know what the right thing to do is, but in all circumstances we can determine what is definitely not (...) (23 years ago, 5-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are we doing the right thing?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks writes (...) Some would assert that morality is only realized when one's life is on the line. Anyone can be moral while sitting comfortably in an air conditioned apartment; ie, when nothing's at (...) (23 years ago, 5-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are we doing the right thing?

(...) disposal (...) OK. (...) But I believe that principles are inconsistent at their heart. (...) If you, your children and the bus driver are trapped under an avalanche and your children are starving, do you kill and serve the driver to avoid (...) (23 years ago, 5-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Views on asylum seekers?

(...) First of all, there are tons of houses in the US that are going unused because they don't meet the stringent safety laws that we take for granted. But they are a 100% improvement over what these immigrants may be used to...and not really (...) (23 years ago, 5-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Views on asylum seekers?

(...) Whichever, the argument against detention remains the same I think. The sustainable development question of population carrying capacity/infrastruct...mmigration levels is separate, but certainly related. (...) Here's another perspective, from (...) (23 years ago, 5-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Military Lego Sets

(...) This isn't a straw man--reading the context and understanding the implications of the charges made, he's faulting Pedro for not invalidating Muslim Spain's relatively peaceful and prosperous existence during even the late stages of the (...) (23 years ago, 5-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Views on asylum seekers?

(...) I (...) I think we're getting confused between asylum seekers, and refugees here. See below. (...) I don't have anything to back this up except some snippets I've read in newspapers (and we all know how reliable they are), but I think most of (...) (23 years ago, 5-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Views on asylum seekers?

(...) I'm sure the building industry would be delighted to find room and resources to accomodate new Australians. As for the cost, how about a $14000 new home buyers grant? Seriously, the government is spending a massive amount of money on refugee (...) (23 years ago, 5-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Views on asylum seekers?

(...) WHERE in the general community? Tents? Caravans? Maybe some can afford houses, but the houses still have to be found. There are currently many thousands in detention centres in Australia, and I dare say many thousands in other places waiting (...) (23 years ago, 5-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact