 Off-Topic / Debate / 12415
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:14:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Greg Perry writes:

(snipped a great deal of very good points about constructive criticism and
reasoned debate)

And don't forget to thank your god for America being there during the "Big
One" so that now instead of goose-stepping around while sporting funny
little mustaches your country can rather concern itself with where Prince
Willie's Willy is being stuck and whether or not you can keep the citizens
or your occupied territories from hurling grenades into crowds of school
children.

It was all going so well Greg and I respected what you were saying until
this point.  I think that in general most citizens of the United Kingdom are
very thankful for the United States' contribution to the overthrow of
Germany but I would like to say that I take exception to the way in which
you denigrate Britain's contribution to World War II.  US revisionist
propaganda such as the movie U471 is on the increase and is extremely unfair
and unhelpful.

I have read in many places that Hitler did not in fact wish to go to war
with Britain and a Europe where Germany ran the continent and Britain
continued to exist was his original aim.  But thanks to Britain's stepping
in to help out other nations we became involved and later, for the same
reasons, so did the US.  Honourable actions both but also based on the fact
that if Hitler was not stopped by a concerted effort he would eventually
threaten our countries directly with a higher chance of success.

Remember of course that neither of us was there in 1939 / 1941 so we can't
lay claim to any part of what happened but I just wanted to say that in many
ways the US and UK make a good team and that is a good thing.  Please don't
spoil it.

I'm sorry my first post to off-topic.debate had to be this one but I guess
it was just a matter of time.

Psi

(sits back and waits for LFB or another Lugnet historian to take this post
apart.)