 Off-Topic / Debate / 12412
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:41:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

(snipped)

"Greg Perry" <supernerd23@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:GJ8nuK.31E@lugnet.com...
Thanks lawrence for injecting some real thought-provoking comments into the
discussion.

Compared to what you posted, my reply WAS a real thought-provoking comment.

Admittedly, your succint comments provoked certain thoughts about you, your
attitude and communication skills.  However, despite what you might "think"
it didn't in any way make me reconsider my ideas and position.  See Chris
and Ka-On's posts for replies that aren't simply vitriolic outbursts devoid
of any substance.

I thought your comments were pretty racist and bigoted.

Now you're REALLY "thinking" - I'd like, no make that demand that you point
out one single bit of evidence in my original post that supports your charge
of racism.  There is nothing in my opinion or position of not buying items
made in China that is based on a hatred for Asians or a belief that
Caucasians are the superior race.  While you're at it perhaps you can
explain why you're so quick to label other people "racist and bigoted" just
because you happen to disagree with them.

"Bigoted" is another word you have absolutely no right to apply to my
posting.  A bigot is someone who is "obstinately and intolerantly devoted to
his own opinions and prejudices" (Websters).  Once again, if you were to
re-read my original post I think you'll find that I do not PROCLAIM that I
am RIGHT and every one else is WRONG.  In fact, I thought that was I doing
was offering an opinion that I hold and asking folks to respond with their
thoughts on the subject for me to consider.  That is not how a bigot operates.

So once again, I'd like to see you offer any evidence that mine was a
bigoted posting - i.e. displaying an intransigent attitude.

"Prejudice" however is a different matter and a charge that I might plead
guilty to in this case.  I realize lawrence that you have little or no
regard for the meaning of the words, but one definition of prejudice is "an
adverse opinion or learning formed without just grounds or before sufficient
knowledge."  So my anti-MADE IN CHINA stance could be considered
prejudicial.  Once again I would refer you to Ka-On's response where there
is a attempt to show me the error of my ways by arguing that my reasons for
the bias (lack of quality and the treatment of the Chinese people by its
government) are baseless.

Along with the two reasons I've stated for this opinion and practice is the
more nationalistic one - with my obviously simplistic view of world
economics, I (like all the other horrid, selfish Americans) fail to
understand why it is "good" that jobs be eliminated in this country and
moved to other countries.  It's oh-so-easy for people like you to hate the
United States of America but I bet you've never once thought about what a
burden it is to be citizens of the only country in the world where being
patriotic and interested in the overall common-good of the nation is
automatically equated with EVIL, HATE, RACISM and WAR-MONGERING.

It's just too bad that in its infancy, the U.S.A. couldn't have learned from
more gentle, mature, civilized and nice countries like Great Britain how to
operate in the world for the benefit of all living creatures both great and
small.

I am surprised your post hasn't been met with a more angry response.

Really?  I'm surprised it received any response at all.  I figured with more
pressing matters such as ripping Jack Stone that no one would really care
whether LEGO products are made in China or that anyone else might be
bothered by that.  Of course when there's a chance to hurl epithets and bash
America there's always someone who will take the bait.

Still China's the new ememy I guess.

Didn't you hear the news?  Next to Mexico, the Chinese are our closest
allies and the most important international relationship the U.S. maintains.
Give us a couple of more years and I'm sure you'll find the E.U. at the top
of the list of enemies.

You're lucky there aren't more Chinese on Lugnet.

Why? So that they can give me the raking over the coals that you've so
expertly applied?  I think you'd done an admirable job of defending that
half of the planet and the billions of people that live there.  I'm sure if
they only knew, they would be eternally grateful.

God bless America for making the world a safer place and protecting us from Chinese nuclear missiles and Lego pieces.

And don't forget to thank your god for America being there during the "Big
One" so that now instead of goose-stepping around while sporting funny
little mustaches your country can rather concern itself with where Prince
Willie's Willy is being stuck and whether or not you can keep the citizens
or your occupied territories from hurling grenades into crowds of school
children.

regards
lawrence