 Off-Topic / Debate / 12414
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:08:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Greg Perry writes:

And don't forget to thank your god for America being there during the "Big
One" so that now instead of goose-stepping around while sporting funny
little mustaches your country can rather concern itself with where Prince
Willie's Willy is being stuck and whether or not you can keep the citizens
or your occupied territories from hurling grenades into crowds of school
children.

  Greg:
  That is the type of comment that frequently--and not always
incorrectly--elicits charges of bigotry or at least misguided nationalism.
Obviously, I have no idea of the true nature of your real-world feelings,
but the tenor of your statements in this debate illustrate pretty clearly
the perception that the US is great (or at least the world's anti-Nazi
saviors) and that other nations, arbitrarily chosen, are inferior.  We are
all aware of China's human rights violations, and we're all aware of the
UK's troubles in Ireland.  For that matter, the grenade-tossing incident
stems from centuries-old Catholic/Protestant friction and is, as I
understand it, largely independent of British occupation.  In any case, some
of us are also aware of the US's human rights violations, and so we're less
quick to point fingers at other nations.
  Your feelings are valid, insofar as they're your own, but it might serve
you better in the long run to consider the impact of your phrasing.  Your
first post in the thread, for instance, asks:

- Am I just being jingo-istic (and euro-centric) in thinking that if LEGO
products across the board begin to be made in China that there will be an
overall reduction in quality?

which, to the conscientious reader, comes across as an implication of
inferiority inherent in the process of Chinese manufacture.  You likewise
asserted:

While I certainly see the problems inherent in a society that forces it's
population to work under virtual "slave labor" conditions, for me the botton
line is that products made in China are inevitably cheap, inferior crap.

thereby undermining any subsequent arguments you might make about China's
human rights violations, since you state clearly that your primary concern
is the impact upon your wallet.

  Again, I don't know (or, honestly, care about) your real-world views on
these matters.  I am instead addressing your online presentation of ideas
and the way they're coming across, whether or not you're aware of their
unintended impact.

     Dave!